Tuesday, February 17, 2009

STATE DEPARTMENT REGULAR BRIEFING
WASHINGTON, TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 17,
Acting Deputy Spokesman Gordon Duguid

......Question: Lambros Papantoniou

One more question. Albania is supporting the so-calledindependence of Kosovo on the basis of geography, not ethnicity. Seein gthat Kosovars are Albanians, why does your government support the creation of a second Albania in the Balkan Peninsula with different name, instead of asking a union? May we assume that Secretary Clintonis going to change this policy?

MR. DUGUID: Mr. Lambros, I disagree with the premise of thequestion, and therefore I will not answer that at this particulartime.

I don't think it's factually accurate.
Mr. Lambros Papantoniou.

Question: Yes, on Kosovo, two questions. Mr. Duguid, since you created Kosovo, why does the U.S.government oppose the same right for the Greeks in Northern Epirus, which after all has its own autonomy recognized by the League of Nations as precondition for admission of Albania into its ranks became a state. May we assume that Secretary Clinton is going to help the Greeks of Northern Epirus?

MR. DUGUID: Mr. Lambros, again, I don't agree with the premise of the question. Therefore I'm not prepared to answer it.

Question: I have another one. Today at the World Bank, there is a special meeting about the false information provided, by its managers, to the agency's board of directors, for $39 million dollars politically connected, quote, "coastalcleanup," unquote, project that led to the destruction and thedestitution of a powerless Greek village close to Himare, NorthernEpirus, in Albania, in 2007, in full cooperation with Sali Berishagovernment. I'm wondering if you aware about that from the human rights pointof view.

MR. DUGUID: I don't have any information on that. If I can findanything, I will get back to you. Thank you.

No comments: