Thursday, March 19, 2009

STATE DEPARTMENT REGULAR BRIEFINGBRIEFER: ROBERT WOOD, ACTING DEPARTMENT SPOKESMANSTATE DEPARTMENT BRIEFING ROOM, STATE DEPARTMENT, WASHINGTON, D.C.11:34 A.M. EDT, THURSDAY, MARCH 19, 2009

........ Okay, Mr. Lambros.

QuestionOn; Cyprus, Mr. Wood, for 36 successive years, Turkey has
occupied illegally the Republic of Cyprus, using ammunition and
weapons. But I cannot understand why Mrs. Clinton has given her
consent to receive here officially the Turkish Cypriot leader, Mehmet
Ali Talat, without seeing first the president of the republic or the
foreign minister

It's confirmed. I would like to know when it's going to happen.
It's done.

MR. WOOD: I don't know. Mr. Lambros, I can't answer that
question for you. I'll see if I can get you an answer on that.

Question; Can you take this question? It's very important.

MR. WOOD: I said I would.

Question: On Northern Epirus, Mr. Wood, Mayor of Himare Vasil Bollano in Northern Epirus is under constant attack by the Albanian government of Sali Berisha. Without any excuse, Mrs. -- Mr. Bollano is going to prison for clearly political reasons. I know that Secretary Hillary Clinton has different opinions in respect with the Albanian court.

Once again I ask the government, the U.S. government, right now, in order to stop this unpopular Albanian political plan.

MR. WOOD: I'm not aware of this issue, Mr. Lambros. I'm sorry.

Question: But can you take this question? Because it's -- .
MR. WOOD: I'm not sure it's -- what's the question?

Question: The question is that the mayor of Himare is going to prison for political reasons. I would like you to get to the bottom to stop this movement.

MR. WOOD: I'm not going to take this it's not a question you're asking; you're making a request, and I'm ...

Question: No, the question is that he's going to prison for political reasons already.

MR. WOOD: Are you asking or telling me? I'm not quite sure here. What -- ..

Question: No, the question is, he's going to political for political reason. It has been done by a court, and I would like you to get involved.

No comments: