Friday, April 16, 2010

Kadare Cancels Greek Visit Following Racist Chants

Tirana | 16 April 2010 |
Ismail Kadare
Ismail Kadare

Renowned Albanian writer Ismail Kadare has canceled a visit to Greece in the wake of racist chants against Albanians sung during a military parade in Athens at the end of March, local media reported on Thursday. Kadare was scheduled to hold a speech on April 19 at the Megaro Mousikis University in Athens. In a letter to the university Kadare wrote that, although he was a great admirer of Greek literature and culture, he does not find any trace of such culture in the recent military parade.

“Being aware of the recent events in Athens expressing racism against Albanians I am canceling my visit to your country,” Kadare is cited as writing by local broadcaster Top-Channel TV. “You know very well my admiration for Greek literature and culture, but I believe that in this climate that lacks civility, my visit would be premature,” Kadare adds.

No comments: