Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Albanian tribunals continue to give land and properties to Albanians

State Departament
Daily Press Briefing Tom Casey, Deputy SpokesmanWashington,

Albanian Tribunal and Government to conquist greek minority lands and proprioties.
Photo: Deputy Spokesman Thomas Casey
 
DCSeptember 27, 2007INDEX:
MR. CASEY: Mr. Lambros Papantoniou.
QUESTION: On Albania.
MR. CASEY: On Albania. Okay.

 Image result for lambros papantoniou

QUESTION: Albania's intentions today in Northern Epirus, the Albanian tribunals continue to give land and properties to Albanians (inaudible) the Greek minority. And a lot of protests have taken place today in the Greek town of Himara (ph). Since the Albanian Government, Mr. Casey, started a new (inaudible) campaign against the Greeks in Northern Epirus, I'm wondering if you have any comment, in the framework of human rights, for who is the U.S. Government is very concerned.

MR. CASEY: Mr. Lambros, I'm not familiar with the specific incident you're referring to. What I would say is, of course, in any actions that the Government of Albania takes or any government takes, we would expect that those actions would follow the laws of that country, follow established norms and procedures and certainly be in accordance with the constitution. I haven't read the Albanian constitution recently. But as I recall, it does provide a general and good guarantee for basic human rights.

QUESTION: (Inaudible) another question. So it is a matter of our relation of human rights and that's why I'm asking you.

MR. CASEY: Well, again, Mr. Lambros, if your question concerns decisions rendered over the distribution of property in towns in Albania, I don't have anything specific for you on that. But what I would tell you is we would expect that any decisions made, whether by an executive body or by a court system, would follow the rule of law and the established laws of the country.

QUESTION: Thank you, (inaudible) to that specifically, but --

MR. CASEY: If you want, Mr. Lambros, I'm sure our friends in the European Bureau could answer you about that or perhaps the Embassy as well. But I think I would leave it to the Albanian Government to describe their actions. If there was anything -- there are any concerns that are raised by that I'm sure you'll hear from our folks in the appropriate time.

No comments: