Monday, April 8, 2013

EU's Ashton reacts to Serbian decision


BRUSSELS -- Catherine Ashton issued a statement on Monday in the wake of the Serbian government's decision to reject a prooosal put forward in the Kosovo talks.
(Beta/AP, file)
(Beta/AP, file)
"Over the past six months I have met Prime Minister Dačić and Prime Minister Thaci eight times, sometimes in sessions that lasted more than thirteen hours," the statement reads, and adds:
"At the beginning we set ourselves a clear timeframe, so that the dialogue would stay focused and take into account the European Council's desire that Serbia and Kosovo move forward by the summer. I pay tribute to the two prime ministers and their teams for their hard work."

"After several rounds of discussions I believe that all the elements for an agreement on northern Kosovo are on the table. This needs to be an agreement between the two sides, it is not for the European Union to impose it. I regret the decision of the Serbian government to reject the proposals and call on them to make a last effort to reach an agreement, for the benefit of their people," the EU foreign policy chief's statement said.

"I believe in a bright future for Serbia and Kosovo and I know that, however difficult the process has been, it unlocked the potential for people - especially in northern Kosovo - to have a better life. I hope that Kosovo and Serbia will not miss the opportunity to put the past behind them and move forward into the future. I hope I will be leading the discussion in the EU over the next few days in support of a real step forward by both Serbia and Kosovo towards their European future," the EU official concluded in her statement.

No comments: