2. In 1992, after the fall of communism, the name changed again to simply Republic of Albania.
3. In 1967 Albania became the world’s first officially atheist state.
4. The Albanians call Albania Shqiperia, which means “land of the eagle”.
5. During the communist era private cars were illegal in Albania.
7. Albania is the name of at least three towns in Colombia.
8. The oldest known name of the main island of Britain was Albion. Around the 11th century writings in Latin referred to it as Albania.
9. Albania competed at the Olympics in 1972 and at every one since 1992 but has yet to win a medal.
10. The Albanian currency, the lek, was named after Alexander the Great, whose name was often shortened to Leka in Albanian.