Friday, February 13, 2009

THE ETHNIC TRIAL IN ALBANIA AGAINST FIVE HIMARIOTES

State Department: Question about the rights of the properties of Northern Epiriotes in Albania and about the trial against five himariotes who raised the greek flag in Himara Municipality

STATE DEPARTMENT REGULAR BRIEFING BRIEFER:
ROBERT WOOD, DEPARTMENT SPOKESMAN WASHINGTON,
D.C.11:40 P.M. EST,
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2009


Let me go to Lambros.

Question: On the Balkans, Mr. Wood, Albania must solve the huge problem of unclear and disputed property titles, that means of the Greeks in Northern Epirus, in order to attract foreign investments and meet the new criteria for eventual membership to the European Union, Helmuth Lohan, the EU's ambassador to Tirana, stated the other day.
What is the U.S. position on the property rights of the Greeks in Northern Epirus?

MR. WOOD: Mr. Lambros, we have spoken to that issue quite often from the podium. I don't have anything more to give you than what we have said previously.

Question: The supreme court of Sali Berisha in Albania sentenced, before yesterday, five Greeks in Himare, in Northern Epirus, simply raising the Greek flag. May we have your reaction from the human rights point of view?

MR. WOOD: First I've heard of it, Mr. Lambros. We'll look into it and see if I can get you an answer.

Question: One more: Why Mr. Mark Turner of your European desk never prepares you with a press guidance pertaining Greece, Cyprus, Balkan states and Turkey? Is there any particular reason?

MR. WOOD: No. (Inaudible) -- takes good care of me.
Question: Excuse me.
MR. WOOD: (Inaudible) -- takes good care of me, providing what I need.

Question: In answering my pending questions the other day, your press officer Laura Tishler told me that Secretary Clinton never had a meeting or an official call with the prime minister of FYROM, Nikola Gruevski. How do you accept, Mr. Wood, that Mr. Gruevski attributed to Secretary Clinton a statement? Do you allow that?

MR. WOOD: Mr. Lambros, I think I've answered enough of your questions.
Question: Excuse me.

MR. WOOD: I've given you the answers that I can give you.

Question: Okay.

No comments: