Monday, June 16, 2008

The Human Rights of Greeks in Albania

Daily Press Briefing Gonzalo R. Gallegos, Director, Office of Press Relations Washington, DC June 16, 2008 .......

Yes, Mr. Lambros.

QUESTION: On Northern Epirus. Congressman Gus Bilirakis has written Secretary Rice about continuing Albanian treatment against the Greeks in Northern Epirus and urging the Administration to press Tirana to respect the basic rights they are entitled under international agreements. I’m wondering if Secretary Rice is concerned about that since Sali Berisha Government most recently systematically attacks the Greeks in Himara of Northern Epirus?

MR. GALLEGOS: Well, I think in terms of communications, congressional communications, I’m sure that we – I haven’t seen whether or not we have received that or not. But I can assure you that it will be appropriately addressed and an appropriate response will be given.

No comments: